Varese cycling experience
This weekender cycling experience based in Varese in Northern Italian Lakes will let you enjoy these lakes and mountains around by bike.
Varese is a hillside town located in Lombardy, close to Piedmont and to Switzerland, at the foothills of the Italian and Swiss Pre-Alps, 25 km in a crow flies from Milan Malpensa Airport and can be reached in a 43-minute train ride every hour (no change).
Lake Maggiore is 20km -13mi away, Lake Lugano 15km - 9mi, Lake Como 80km - 50mi. The southern end of area is relatively flat (approx 300 metres .a.s.l. – 990 feet .a.s.l.) and more peopled, but the northern end is hilly and mountainous (the peaks are approx 1.000 metres a.s.l. - 3,280 feet a.s.l. or more) as the lakes reach the foothills of the Alps in Switzerland.
This 4-day experience is for intermediate cyclists, who love to climb.
4 nights and 3 days of cycling.
In just a few days you can see the best views and the hidden gems that the Varese region around Lake Maggiore and Lake Lugano have to offer.
The Italian Lake District has some of the best cycling roads to suit a wide range of cycling abilities and skills because there is so much variety. The lake roads are flat and there are many roads up in the mountains for climbing.
Have a look at our road cycling routes, so you can get the most out of the cycling experience.
Cycling experience based in Varese
Varese is very well-known for amatour cycling, having organised the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships in 2018 and it also hosts the annual UCI Gran Fondo World Series Tre Valli Varesine in October.
The race course winds up and down among the Lakes of Lugano, Maggiore and Varese with some tough climbs in between.
Learn more about UCI Gran Fondo World Series Tre Valli Varesine.
Tourist attractions during the cycling experience
You can ride through wooded valleys, narrow climbs, fast descends without forgetting to enjoy what our area has to offer: ancient villas, parks, churches and hermitages which were built from Sixteenth Century to the Nineteenth Century, exibitions, history, art, culture. In particular we suggest to visit Villa della Porta Bozzolo at Casalzuigno, Hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso on Lake Maggiore and Sacro Monte of Varese (historic site on the UNESCO Worldwide Heritage List). Learn more about the best tourist attractions around.
2023 Weekender road bike tour prices per person in Euro
4 days, 4 nights, 3 days of cycling
Level of difficulty:
intermediate and advanced
rarely flat, mostly undulating and hilly
challenge route 94 km
challenge route 1,600 m
2023 scheduled dates
Apr 28st – May 2nd 2023
May 26th – 30th 2023
Jun 23rd – 27th 2023
Jul 21st – 25st 2023
Aug 18th – 22nd 2023
Sep 15th – 19th 2023
Our bike tours are guaranteed to run once we have one confirmed booking on the tour. If zero guests have booked one of our tours, we reserve the right to cancel it.
Other dates are possible and we'll create a departure especially for you if there is a minimum number of 4 guests and a maximum of 10 guests.
Book with confidence with our flexible: Terms & Conditions.
Included services in bike tour:
- 4 nights in double room
- 4 high-calorie continental breakfasts
- 3 packed lunches, strengthened and protein content snack with bananas and sandwiches
- 3 post ride lunches when you go back to the hotel
- 4 dinners
- Double occupancy as standard
- A skilled bike guide
- Any travel by ferry or train along the rides
- Maps and information material
- The digital map of the routes drawn by us, so you can look at it on smartphone dispaly
- Workstand tool bench for basic maintenance
- Isotonic drinks or water for your ride
- Washing and cleaning area for bikes
- Daily laundry service for your cycle clothing
- Bicycle recovery assistance in case of breakdown
- Free Internet Wi-Fi
- Car parking
- Bike hire
- Travel insurance
- Medical and physiotherapy services
- Transfer to and from Airport
- Entrance fees Castles, Villas, Museums
- Any extra-beverage and other extras at dinner
Weekender Road Bike Tour Details / Daily Routes
Each day there are two or more ride options available each varying in distance and difficulty.
If you would prefer your rides include more distance, less distance or different climbs then please contact us, we are willing to provide you with rides that meet all your needs. We can change places, distances and climbs if all the people on the same tour agree.
You can see the CLIMBING SEGMENTS ON STRAVA in the Italian and Swiss Lake District on Google Maps.
Please note that all routes are subject to change depending on local conditions.
We generally meet at the bikes at 8.00/8.30 in the morning getting back to the hotel in the afternoon at 14.00/15.00, so you can enjoy a post ride lunch. The rest of the day is relax time. A coffee stop, stops for feeding on the way and for regrouping are suggested during the daily ride. We all together ride on the flats and at your own pace on the climbs, regrouping at the summits. The water isn't a problem here. There are several taps on the way where you can fill your bottle water.
1 ~ Thursday - Arrival
Assembling your own bike or delivery of rental bike and pre-tour briefing.
Accomodation: Hotel Ungheria Varese
2 ~ Friday, 3 ~ Saturday, 4 ~ Sunday
We have selected several rides which start from Varese. You can choose from them.
Some of them:
- Around five lakes (100 km, 950 m) or (102 km, 1,265 m),
- Regional Park Monte Campo dei Fiori (45 km, 540 m) or (61 km, 1,205 m),
- Try the UCI Gran Fondo Tre Valli Varesine (98 km, 1,912 m),
- Lake Como and Valle Intelvi (110 km, 1,300 m),
- Madonna del Ghisallo (120 km, 1,200 m),
- Lake Lugano up and down (103 km, 1,850 m) or (127 km, 2,250 m),
- Sant'Antonio, San Michele, Monte Sette Termini, Cuvignone (62 km, 1,202 m) or (75 km, 1,750 m),
- Through the Swiss region of Malcantone (81 km, 1,078 m) or (87 km, 1,305 m).
Accomodation: Hotel Ungheria Varese
5 ~ Monday - Departure
Breakfast and departure.